Red Hat OpenShift I: Containers & Kubernetes (DO180)
Introduction to building and managing containers for deployment on a Kubernetes and OpenShift 4 cluster
The course introduces students to building and managing containers for deployment on a Kubernetes cluster. This course helps students build core knowledge and skills in managing containers through hands-on experience with containers, Kubernetes, and the Red Hat OpenShift Container Platform needed for multiple roles, including developers, administrators and site reliability engineers.
This course is based on Red Hat Enterprise Linux 8.2 and OpenShift Container Platform 4.6.
- Container and OpenShift architecture
- Creating containerized services
- Managing containers and container images
- Creating custom container images
- Deploying containerized applications on OpenShift
- Deploying multi-container applications
Audience for this course
- Developers who want to containerize software applications.
- Administrators who are new to container technology and container orchestration.
- Architects who are looking to use container technologies in software architectures.
- Site Reliability Engineers who want to support their technology infrastructure using Kubernetes and OpenShift.
Prerequisites for this course
- Take our free assessment to gauge whether this offering is the best fit for your skills.
- Experience in the use of a Linux terminal session, issuing operating system commands, and familiarity with shell scripting. A Red Hat Certified System Administrator (RHCSA) certification is recommended but not required.
- Some experience with web application architectures and their corresponding technologies.
This course requires Internet connectivity to access public facing resources.
Outline for this course
Introducing container technology
Describe how software can run in containers orchestrated by Red Hat OpenShift Container Platform.
Creating containerized services
Provision a service using container technology.
Modify pre-build container images to create and manage containerized services.
Managing container images
Manage the life cycle of a container image from creation to deletion.
Creating custom container images
Design and code a Container file to build a custom container image.
Deploying containerized applications on OpenShift
Deploy single container applications on OpenShift Container Platform.
Deploying multi-container applications
Deploy applications that are containerized using multiple container images.
Troubleshooting containerized applications
Troubleshoot a containerized application deployed on OpenShift.
Comprehensive review of introduction to container, Kubernetes, and Red Hat OpenShift
Demonstrate how to containerize a software application, test it with Podman, and deploy it on an OpenShift cluster.
Impact on the company/organization
Containers and OpenShift have quickly become the de facto solution for agile development and application deployment. Administrators and developers are seeking additional ways to improve application time-to-market and improve maintainability.
A container-based architecture, orchestrated with Kubernetes and OpenShift, improves application reliability, scalability, decreases developer overhead, and facilitates continuous integration and continuous deployment. DO180 is the starting point for OpenShift curriculum within GLS and provides the necessary foundation before advancing to OpenShift development or administration.
This course provides the gateway to organizational and digital transformation by providing a comprehensive look at the potential of DevOps using a container-based architecture.
Red Hat has created this course in a way intended to benefit our customers, but each company and infrastructure is unique, and actual results or benefits may vary.
Impact on the individual
As a result of attending this course, students should gain the skills needed to perform basic tasks in Red Hat OpenShift Container Platform (OCP). This includes the ability to:
- Create containerized services using Podman.
- Manage containers and container images.
- Create custom container images.
- Deploy containerized applications on OpenShift.
- Deploy multi-container applications.
Recommended next course
- Red Hat Certified Specialist in Containers and Kubernetes exam (EX180)
- Red Hat OpenShift Development II: Containerizing Applications (DO288)
- Red Hat OpenShift Administration II: Operating a Production Kubernetes Cluster (DO280)